Roasted eggplant pulp is simmered with garlic, turmeric, cumin and fresh herbs and other spices.
Servings: 4 Servings
- 1 pack Baigan Bharta Recipe Kit (No. 25)
Produce & Natural Foods
- 2 piece Eggplant [2 medium-sized = 2 lb]
- 1 cup Peas [shelled; 1 cup = 6 oz]
- 1 piece Onion
- 1 piece Fresh Ginger Root [2 inch long & roughly ½ inch diameter OR Equivalent]
- 2 piece Garlic Cloves (medium-sized)
- 1 piece Tomato [1 medium-sized = 0.3 lb]
Basic Cooking Ingredients
- 2 Tablepsoon Cooking Oil [Sunflower, Safflower, Canola or Olive Oil based on preference]
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Cutting & Chopping
1. Peel and finely dice onion.
- 2. Peel & finely dice fresh ginger root OR grate using ginger grater.
- Peel & finely mince garlic cloves OR crush using garlic press.
- 2. Finely chop tomato.
- Broiling/ Roasting Eggplants
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Place eggplant in a baking dish. Broil or Roast in the preheated oven, until tender. Remove from heat, cool, peel the skin, and mash it in pulp.
- Preparing Herb & Spice Mix (Layering Technique)
Heat 1 Tablespoon of oil in wok or sauté pan.
- Layer 2
When oil is heated, turn heat to medium and add entire contents of Gold Pack to roast spices. Continue on medium heat, stirring often, till you smell slight aroma of roasted spices. It will take 10-15 seconds to roast spices if oil is hot enough.
- Layer 3
Add diced onions, diced ginger and minced garlic to the roasted spices. Continue on medium heat, stirring often, until the onions become translucent and ginger & garlic lose their pungent smell and start smelling nutty & little sweet.
- Layer 4
Add entire contents of Black Pack, 1 teaspoon of salt & ground red chili (optional, according to taste) and roast on medium heat for 1 minute, stirring gently and mixing well.
- Layer 5
Add chopped tomatoes and ½ cup of water to the herb and spice mix. Stir it gently to mix it well. Continue on medium heat stirring occasionally till tomatoes become pulpy and their skin separate.
- Layer 6
Add mashed eggplant & peas to the herb and spice mix and cook on medium heat till eggplant & peas are cooked to desired texture.
How to Tell When Oil is Hot When a small piece of food (a bit of ginger OR garlic OR onion) sizzles immediately when added to the pan. Start Cooking only after all the Preparation steps are completed In Indian Cooking each step move fast so every ingredient should be in ready-to-cook state and should be close to the cooking station before starting cooking.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!