Chicken is cooked in crushed peppercorns, curry leaves and flavorful array of freshly roasted and grounded spices.
Servings: 4 Servings
- 1 pack Kozhi Pepper Varuval Recipe Kit (No. 10)
- 1 pound Chicken [Thighs]
Produce & Natural Foods
- 1.5 piece Onion [1.5 medium-sized = 0.6 lb]
- 1 piece Fresh Ginger Root [2 inch long & roughly ½ inch diameter OR Equivalent]
- 2 piece Garlic Cloves (medium-sized)
- 0.5 piece Jalapeno
- 2 piece Tomato [2 medium-sized = 0.6 lb]
Basic Cooking Ingredients
- 2 Tablespoon Cooking Oil [Sunflower, Safflower, Canola or Olive Oil based on preference]
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Cutting, Chopping & Whipping
1. Cut chicken in roughly 2” long and 2” wide pieces.
- 2. Peel and finely dice onion.
- 3. Peel & finely dice fresh ginger root OR grate using ginger grater.
- 4. Peel & finely mince garlic cloves OR crush using garlic press.
- 5. De-seed & finely dice jalapeno.
- 6. Finely chop Tomatoes.
- Preparing Spices
1. Heat frying pan and add entire contents of Gold Pack and dry roast spices for 25-30 seconds on medium heat stirring consistently.
- 2. Coarsely ground the roasted mix using mortar and pestle OR spice/coffee grinder OR small hammer & bowl. Make sure all equipment/tool is clean and dry before usage.
- Preparing Herb & Spice Mix (Layering Technique)
Heat 2 Tablespoon of oil in a wok OR saute pan.
- Layer 2
When oil is heated, turn heat to medium and add entire contents of Black Pack to roast spices. Continue on medium heat, stirring often, till you smell slight aroma of roasted spices. It will take 15-20 seconds to roast spices if oil is hot enough.
- Layer 3
Add coarsely grounded, roasted spices and continue to medium heat for 15 seconds, stirring often.
- Layer 4
Add diced onion, diced ginger, minced garlic and de-seeded jalapeno. Continue on medium heat, stirring often, until the onions become translucent and ginger & garlic lose their pungent smell and start smelling nutty & little sweet.
- Layer 5
Add entire contents of Silver Pack, ¾ teaspoon of salt & ground red chili (optional, according to taste) and roast on medium heat for 1 minute, stirring gently and mixing well.
- Layer 6
Add chopped tomatoes and 1 cup of water to the herb and spice mix. Stir it gently to mix it well. Continue on medium heat stirring occasionally till tomatoes become pulpy and their skin separate.
- Layer 7
Add chicken pieces to the herb and spice mix, cover the wok with lid and cook till chicken is well cooked i.e. fork tender. Adjust salt if required.
How to Tell When Oil is Hot When a small piece of food (a bit of ginger OR garlic OR onion) sizzles immediately when added to the pan. Start Cooking only after all the Preparation steps are completed In Indian Cooking each step move fast so every ingredient should be in ready-to-cook state and should be close to the cooking station before starting cooking.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!