Yellow lentils are tempered with cumin, ginger, garlic, onion and other spices, a Punjabi Cuisine favorite.
Servings: 4 Servings
- 1 pack Dal Tadka Recipe Kit (No. 03)
- 1 cup Split Pigeon Peas (Hindi name: Arhar or Toor Dal) [1 cup = 7 oz]
Produce & Natural Foods
- 1 piece Onion [1 medium-sized = 0.4 lb]
- 1 piece Fresh Ginger Root [2 inch long & roughly ½ inch diameter OR Equivalent]
- 2 piece Garlic Cloves (medium-sized)
- 0.25 ounce Fresh Cilantro [optional, for garnish]
Basic Cooking Ingredients
- 1 Tablespoon Cooking Oil [Sunflower, Safflower, Canola or Olive Oil based on preference]
- 0.75 teaspoon Salt
- Cutting & Chopping
1. Peel & finely dice onion.
- 2. Peel & finely dice fresh ginger root OR grate using ginger grater.
- 3. Peel & finely mince garlic cloves OR crush using garlic press.
- Boiling Lentils
1. Boil 1 cup of lentil with 2 cups of water until tender and thickened. Lentils can be boiled in pressure cooker OR sauce pan (covered with lid). If cooking in sauce pan add more water to prevent drying out.
- Tadka or Tempering – Preparing Herb & Spice Mix (Layering Technique)
Heat 1 Tablespoon of oil in frying pan.
- Layer 2
When oil is heated, turn heat to medium and add entire contents of Gold Pack to roast spices. Continue on medium heat, stirring often, till you smell slight aroma of roasted spices. It will be take 10-15 seconds to roast the spices if oil is hot enough.
- Layer 3
Add diced onion, diced ginger and minced garlic. Continue on medium heat, stirring often, until the onions become translucent and ginger & garlic loose their pungent smell and start smelling nutty & little sweet.
- Layer 4
Add entire contents of Black Pack, ¾ teaspoon of salt & ground red chili (optional, according to taste) and roast on medium heat for another 1 minute, stirring gently and mixing well.
- Layer 5
Add ¼ cup of water to the spice mix, stir it well and add this mix to boiled lentils. Add another ¼ cup of water to the boiled lentils and gently stir lentils to mix the herb & spice mix with boiled lentils.
- 1. Garnish with chopped cilantro.
How to Tell When Oil is Hot When a small piece of food (a bit of ginger OR garlic OR onion) sizzles immediately when added to the pan. Start Cooking only after all the Preparation steps are completed In Indian Cooking each step move fast so every ingredient should be in ready-to-cook state and should be close to the cooking station before starting cooking. Cooking Time Cooking Time quoted is in case Pressure Cooker is used to cook.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!