A thick, creamy, mildly flavored spinach dish prepared with lentils, ginger and cumin.
Servings: 4 Servings
- 1 pack Keerai Kootu Recipe Kit (No. 37)
- 0.5 cup Split Pigeon Peas (Hindi name: Arhar or Toor Dal) [0.5 cup = 3.5 oz]
Produce & Natural Foods
- 1 cup Fresh Spinach [1 cup Fresh Spinach = 7 oz Frozen Spinach]
- 1 piece Fresh Ginger Root [2 inch long & roughly ½ inch diameter OR Equivalent]
- 0.5 piece Jalapeno
Basic Cooking Ingredients
- 1 Tablespoon Cooking Oil [Sunflower, Safflower, Canola or Olive Oil based on preference]
- 0.75 teaspoon Salt
- Cutting & Chopping
1. Clean & wash spinach.
- 2. Peel & finely dice fresh ginger root OR grate using ginger grater.
- 3. De-seed & finely dice jalapeno.
- Boiling Spinach & Lentils
1. Boil spinach & 0.5 cup of lentil with 2.5 cups of water and entire contents of Gold Pack until tender and thickened. Lentils can be boiled in pressure cooker OR sauce pan with lid. If cooking in sauce pan add more water to prevent drying out.
- Preparing Herb & Spice Mix (Layering Technique)
Heat 1 Tablespoon of oil in frying pan on medium-high heat.
- Layer 2
When oil is heated, turn heat to medium and add entire contents of Silver Pack to roast spices. Continue on medium heat, stirring often, till you smell slight aroma of roasted spices. It will take 15-20 seconds to roast spices if oil is hot enough.
- Layer 3
Add diced ginger and de-seeded jalapeno. Continue on medium heat, stirring often, until the ginger loose their pungent smell and start smelling nutty & little sweet.
- Layer 5
Add 1.5 cups of water to the spice mix, add boiled spinach & lentils. Simmer for 5 minutes.
Lentils can be boiled in pressure cooker or sauce pan (covered with lid). If cooking in sauce pan add more water to prevent drying out.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!