Originated accidentally, this preparation from Mumbai involves blending mashed vegetables in delicious aromatic gravy & garnishing it with fresh cilantro and dash of butter. Couple this with buttered buns/ rolls.
Servings: 4 Servings
- 1 pack Pav Bhaji Recipe Kit (No. 33)
Produce & Natural Foods
- 1 piece Bell Pepper [1 large-sized = 0.6 lb]
- 1 piece Potato [1 large-sized = 0.7 lb]
- 1 cup Peas [shelled; 1 cup = 6 oz]
- 1 piece Onion [1 medium-sized = 0.4 lb]
- 1 piece Fresh Ginger Root [2 inch long & roughly ½ inch diameter OR Equivalent]
- 2 piece Garlic Cloves (medium-sized)
- 2 piece Tomato [2 medium-sized = 0.6 lb]
- 0.5 oz Fresh Cilantro
- 0.5 piece Lemon (medium-sized)
Dairy & Eggs
- 1 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter
Basic Cooking Ingredients
- 3 Tablespoon Cooking Oil [Sunflower, Safflower, Canola or Olive Oil based on preference]
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 8 piece Dinner Rolls [Small-sized; Split cut into halves]
- Cutting & Chopping
1. De-seed & finely dice bell peppers.
- 2. Peel and finely dice onion.
- 3. Peel & finely dice fresh ginger root OR grate using ginger grater.
- 4. Peel & finely mince garlic cloves OR crush using garlic press.
- 5. Finely dice tomatoes.
- Boiling Potatoes
1. Boil potatoes with 1 cup of water in pressure cooker. Potatoes can also be boiled in covered sauce pan. If cooking in sauce pan, add more water to prevent drying out.
- 2. Peel boiled potatoes and mash.
- Preparing Herb & Spice Mix (Layering Technique)
Heat 1 Tablespoon of oil in wok OR sauté pan on medium-high heat.
- Layer 2
When oil is heated, turn heat to medium and add diced onion, diced ginger and minced garlic. Continue on medium heat, stirring often, until the onions become translucent and ginger & garlic lose their pungent smell and start smelling nutty & little sweet.
- Layer 3
Add entire content of Gold Pack, 1 teaspoon of salt and ground red chili (optional, according to taste) on medium heat for another 1 minute, stirring gently and mixing well.
- Layer 4
Add chopped tomatoes, diced bell peppers, mashed potatoes & shelled peas and ½ cup of water to the herb and spice mix. Stir it gently to mix it well. Continue on medium heat stirring occasionally till tomatoes become pulpy & their skin separate and bell peppers are cooked.
- Layer 5
Add butter, chopped cilantro leaves & lemon juice and cook it for another 2 minutes.
- Pan-Fry Rolls
1. Heat 1 Tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan. When oil is heated, turn heat to medium. Add half of the contents of Black Pack and pan fry 4 of the split dinner rolls. Repeat the process for the remaining dinner rolls.
How to Tell When Oil is Hot When a small piece of food (a bit of ginger OR garlic OR onion) sizzles immediately when added to the pan. Start Cooking only after all the Preparation steps are completed In Indian Cooking each step move fast so every ingredient should be in ready-to-cook state and should be close to the cooking station before starting cooking.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!