Originated accidentally, this preparation from Mumbai involves blending mashed vegetables in delicious aromatic gravy & garnishing it with fresh cilantro and dash of butter. Couple this with buttered buns/ rolls.
- 1 pack Pav Bhaji Recipe Kit (No. 33)
Produce & Natural Foods
- 1 piece Bell Pepper [1 large-sized = 0.6 lb]
- 1 piece Potato [1 large-sized = 0.7 lb]
- 1 cup Peas [shelled; 1 cup = 6 oz]
- 1 piece Onion [1 medium-sized = 0.4 lb]
- 1 piece Fresh Ginger Root [2 inch long & roughly ½ inch diameter OR Equivalent]
- 2 piece Garlic Cloves (medium-sized)
- 2 piece Tomato [2 medium-sized = 0.6 lb]
- 0.5 oz Fresh Cilantro
- 0.5 piece Lemon (medium-sized)
Dairy & Eggs
- 1 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter
Basic Cooking Ingredients
- 3 Tablespoon Cooking Oil [Sunflower, Safflower, Canola or Olive Oil based on preference]
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 8 piece Dinner Rolls [Small-sized; Split cut into halves]
- Cutting & Chopping
1. De-seed & finely dice bell peppers.
- 2. Peel and finely dice onion.
- 3. Peel & finely dice fresh ginger root OR grate using ginger grater.
- 4. Peel & finely mince garlic cloves OR crush using garlic press.
- 5. Finely dice tomatoes.
- Boiling Potatoes
1. Boil potatoes with 1 cup of water in pressure cooker. Potatoes can also be boiled in covered sauce pan. If cooking in sauce pan, add more water to prevent drying out.
- 2. Peel boiled potatoes and mash.
- Preparing Herb & Spice Mix (Layering Technique)
Heat 1 Tablespoon of oil in wok OR sauté pan on medium-high heat.
- Layer 2
When oil is heated, turn heat to medium and add diced onion, diced ginger and minced garlic. Continue on medium heat, stirring often, until the onions become translucent and ginger & garlic lose their pungent smell and start smelling nutty & little sweet.
- Layer 3
Add entire content of Gold Pack, 1 teaspoon of salt and ground red chili (optional, according to taste) on medium heat for another 1 minute, stirring gently and mixing well.
- Layer 4
Add chopped tomatoes, diced bell peppers, mashed potatoes & shelled peas and ½ cup of water to the herb and spice mix. Stir it gently to mix it well. Continue on medium heat stirring occasionally till tomatoes become pulpy & their skin separate and bell peppers are cooked.
- Layer 5
Add butter, chopped cilantro leaves & lemon juice and cook it for another 2 minutes.
- Pan-Fry Rolls
1. Heat 1 Tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan. When oil is heated, turn heat to medium. Add half of the contents of Black Pack and pan fry 4 of the split dinner rolls. Repeat the process for the remaining dinner rolls.