Servings: 4 Servings
- 1 pack Saag Chana Recipe Kit (No. 43)
Produce & Natural Foods
- 1 pound Fresh Spinach [1 pound Fresh Spinach = 8 oz Frozen Spinach]
- 1 piece Onion [1 medium-sized = 0.4 lb]
- 1 piece Fresh Ginger Root [2 inch long & roughly ½ inch diameter OR Equivalent]
- 2 piece Garlic Cloves (medium-sized)
- 2 piece Tomato [2 medium-sized = 0.6 lb]
Dairy & Eggs
- 2 Tablespoon Yoghurt (Plain & Non-Fat or Greek) [2 Tablespoon = 1 oz]
Basic Cooking Ingredients
- 3 Tablespoon Cooking Oil [Sunflower, Safflower, Canola or Olive Oil based on preference]
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 29 oz Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans) [29 oz = 1 Large Can]
- Cutting, Chopping & Whipping
1. Peel and finely dice onion.
- 2. Peel & finely dice fresh ginger root or grate using ginger grater.
- 3. Peel & finely mince garlic cloves or crush using garlic press.
- 4. Finely chop Tomatoes.
- 5. Rinse Spinach thoroughly.
- 6. Drain all water from Tofu & cut it in 1 inch cubes.
- 7. Whip yoghurt to smooth consistency.
- Preparing Spinach
1. Boil spinach with 1 cup of water in pressure cooker OR sauce pan with lid until tender.
- 2. Grind spinach mix to fine paste.
- 3. Add 1 Tablespoon of oil in wok with lid OR sauté pan with lid & add spinach paste to it and fry it for 10 minutes on low flame, stirring occasionally.
- Preparing Herb & Spice Mix (Layering Technique)
Heat 1 Tablespoon of oil in frying pan.
- Layer 2
When oil is heated add diced onions, diced ginger, minced garlic, chopped tomatoes & whipped yoghurt and sauté on medium flame, stirring occasionally, until this herb and spice mix turns light brown & till tomatoes become pulpy and their skin separate.
- Layer 3
Add entire contents of Gold Pack, 1 teaspoon of salt and ground red chili (optional, according to taste). Mix well and cook for 1 minute.
- Layer 4
Add canned chickpeas and sautéed spinach paste to the mix. Mix well and continue cooking till chickpeas are cooked to desired texture.
How to Tell When Oil is Hot When a small piece of food (a bit of ginger OR garlic OR onion) sizzles immediately when added to the pan. Start Cooking only after all the Preparation steps are completed In Indian Cooking each step move fast so every ingredient should be in ready-to-cook state and should be close to the cooking station before starting cooking. Cooking Time Cooking Time quoted is in case Pressure Cooker is used to cook.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!