Prawns or shrimp are rolled in flour batter flavored by fresh herbs, carom seeds, lemon & deep fried to create this starter dish from fishing community of Western Indian city of Mumbai.
Servings: 4 Servings
- 1 pack Kolambi Koliwada Recipe Kit (No. 23)
- 0.5 pounds Prawns OR Shrimp [Large-sized; Peeled, Shelled and Deveined]
Produce & Natural Foods
- 2 piece Fresh Ginger Root [2 inch long & roughly ½ inch diameter OR Equivalent]
- 6 piece Garlic Cloves (medium-sized)
- 0.25 piece Onion [¼ medium-sized = 0.1 lb]
- 1 piece Lemon (medium-sized)
- 1 oz Fresh Mint
- 0.5 oz Fresh Cilantro
- 0.5 piece Jalapeno
Basic Cooking Ingredients
- 1 cup Cooking Oil [Sunflower, Safflower, Canola OR Olive Oil based on preference]
- 1.25 teaspoon Salt
- Cutting, Chopping & Whipping
1. Peel & finely dice one piece of fresh ginger root or grate using ginger grater. Peel the other piece of fresh ginger root.
- 2. Peel & finely mince 4 pieces of garlic cloves or crush using garlic press. Peel other 2 pieces of garlic cloves.
- 3. Peel the onion.
- 4. Squeeze juice of the lemon.
1. Prepare marinade by mixing 1 Tablespoon of oil, diced ginger, minced garlic, 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice, entire contents of Gold Pack & 1 teaspoon salt to uniform consistency. Taste the marinade for Spiciness OR Pungency. Please note the marinade will be salty as shrimp still need to be added. Adjust the Spiciness OR Pungency based on preference by adding red chili in increments of ⅛ teaspoon.
(Note the final amount of red chili added for adjusting Spiciness Or Pungency as it will come handy while cooking other recipes)
- 2. Rub marinade on prawns OR shrimp and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Deep Frying
1. Heat oil in Kadai (Indian wok) OR any Deep Fryer. Deep fry marinated prawns OR shrimp on medium heat till they are properly cooked & crisp.
- Put mint leaves, cilantro leaves, 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice, 2 peeled garlic cloves, peeled piece of ginger, peeled onion, jalapeno, entire contents of Silver Pack, ¼ teaspoon of salt & ¼ cup of water in blender and blend till smooth.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!