Prawns are seared with a full flavored pungent sauce and balanced with red wine vinegar, spices and sugar. An all time Goan favorite.
Servings: 3 Servings
- 1 pack Kolambi Balchao Recipe Kit (No. 24)
- 0.5 pound Prawns OR Shrimp [Large-sized; Peeled, Shelled and Deveined]
Produce & Natural Foods
- 2 piece Onion [1 medium-sized = 0.4 lb]
- 1 piece Fresh Ginger Root [2 inch long & roughly ½ inch diameter OR Equivalent]
- 2 piece Garlic Cloves (medium-sized)
- 1 piece Jalapeno
- 2 piece Tomato [2 medium-sized = 0.6 lb]
Basic Cooking Ingredients
- 2 teaspoon Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoon Cooking Oil [Sunflower, Safflower, Canola or Olive Oil based on preference]
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Cutting, Chopping & Whipping
1. Peel & finely dice onion.
- 2. Peel & finely slice fresh ginger root OR grate using ginger grater.
- 3. Peel & finely mince garlic cloves OR crush using garlic press.
- 4. De-seed jalapeno.
- 5. Finely chop tomatoes.
- Preparing Spices
1. Heat frying pan and add entire contents of Gold Pack and dry roast spices for 2 minutes on medium heat stirring consistently. 25-30 seconds on medium heat stirring consistently.
- 2. Coarsely ground the roasted mix using mortar and pestle OR spice/coffee grinder OR small hammer & bowl. Make sure all equipment/tool is clean and dry before usage.
1. Prepare marinade by mixing roasted & coarsely grounded spices (From previous step), diced ginger, minced garlic, entire contents of Black Pack, 1 teaspoon of red wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon salt and ground red chili (optional, according to taste) to uniform consistency. Rub marinade on shrimp and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Preparing Herb & Spice Mix (Layering Technique)
Heat 1 Tablespoon of oil in wok or sauté pan.
- Layer 2
When oil is heated, turn heat to medium and add entire contents of Silver Pack to roast spices. It will take 15-20 seconds to roast spices if oil is hot enough.
- Layer 3
Add diced onion and de-seeded jalapeno to the roasted spices. Continue on medium heat, stirring often, until the onions become translucent.
- Layer 4
Add chopped tomatoes and ½ cup of water. Cover the wok/ pan and continue on medium heat till tomatoes become pulpier and their skin separates.
- Layer 5
Add shrimp along with marinade and cook till shrimps are cooked, stirring often.
How to Tell When Oil is Hot When a small piece of food (a bit of ginger OR garlic OR onion) sizzles immediately when added to the pan. Start Cooking only after all the Preparation steps are completed In Indian Cooking each step move fast so every ingredient should be in ready-to-cook state and should be close to the cooking station before starting cooking.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!