Cubes of meat are sautéed with aromatic spices and then simmered with mildy-spiced spinach sauce. One of the most addictive (and nutritious!) Mughlai dishes.
Servings: 4 Servings
- 1 pack Palak Gosht Recipe Kit (No. 16)
- 1.5 pounds Lamb [Shoulder Chops or Shank]
Produce & Natural Foods
- 1 pound Fresh Spinach [1 pound Fresh Spinach = 7 oz Frozen Spinach]
- 1 piece Onion [1 medium-sized = 0.4 lb]
- 1 piece Fresh Ginger Root [2 inch long & roughly ½ inch diameter OR Equivalent]
- 2 piece Garlic Cloves (medium-sized)
- 1 piece Jalapeno
- 2 piece Tomato [2 medium-sized = 0.6 lb]
Basic Cooking Ingredients
- 2 Tablespoon Cooking Oil [Sunflower, Safflower, Canola or Olive Oil based on preference]
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Cutting & Chopping
1. Peel and finely dice onion.
- 2. Peel & finely dice fresh ginger root OR grate using ginger grater.
- 3. Peel & finely mince garlic cloves OR crush using garlic press.
- 4. De-seed & finely dice jalapeno.
- 5. Finely chop tomatoes.
- 6. Cut lamb in 2”-3” size pieces.
- 7. Clean & wash spinach.
- Preparing Herb & Spice Mix (Layering Technique)
Heat 1 Tablespoon of oil in pressure cooker OR Saute Pan
- Layer 2
When oil is heated, turn heat to medium and add entire contents of Gold Pack to roast spices. Continue on medium heat, stirring often, till you smell slight aroma of roasted spices. It will take 15-20 seconds to roast spices if oil is hot enough.
- Layer 3
Add diced onion, diced ginger, minced garlic and de-seeded jalapeno to the roasted spices. Continue on medium heat, stirring often, until the onions become translucent and ginger & garlic lose their pungent smell and start smelling nutty & little sweet.
- Layer 4
Add entire contents of Black Pack, 1 teaspoon of salt & ground red chili (optional, according to taste) and roast on medium heat for 1 minute, stirring gently and mixing well.
- Layer 5
Add lamb pieces, mix them well with the herb & spice mix and sear it on medium to high heat, stirring often, till the surface of lamb pieces turn light brown. If the herb & spice mix start sticking to the bottom of the pan add one Tablespoon of oil.
- Layer 6
Add chopped tomatoes, chopped spinach and ½ cup of water to the lamb and herb & spice mix. Stir it gently to mix it well. Close the cooker OR saute pan with the lid and cook till meat is well cooked i.e. fork tender.
How to Tell When Oil is Hot When a small piece of food (a bit of ginger OR garlic OR onion) sizzles immediately when added to the pan. Start Cooking only after all the Preparation steps are completed In Indian Cooking each step move fast so every ingredient should be in ready-to-cook state and should be close to the cooking station before starting cooking. Cooking Time Cooking Time quoted is in case Pressure Cooker is used to cook.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!