Mildly spiced mashed potatoes and onions are sauteed with South Indian spices.
Servings: 4 Servings
- 1 pack Batata Bhaji Recipe Kit (No. 34)
Produce & Natural Foods
- 4 piece Potato [4 medium-sized = 2 lb]
- 1 piece Onion [1 medium-sized = 0.4 lb]
- 1 piece Fresh Ginger Root [2 inch long & roughly ½ inch diameter OR Equivalent]
- 0.5 piece Jalapeno
Basic Cooking Ingredients
- 2 Tablespoon Cooking Oil [Sunflower, Safflower, Canola or Olive Oil based on preference]
- 0.75 teaspoon Salt
- Cutting & Chopping
1. Peel & finely dice onion.
- 2. Peel & finely dice fresh ginger root or grate using ginger grater.
- 3. Vertically slit open jalapeno and de-seed it.
- Boiling Potatoes
1. Boil potatoes with 1 cup of water in pressure cooker. Potatoes can also be boiled in covered sauce pan. If cooking in sauce pan, add more water to prevent drying out.
- 2. Peel boiled potatoes and cut in ½ inch cubes.
- Preparing Herb & Spice Mix (Layering Technique)
Heat 1 Tablespoon of oil in wok OR sauté pan.
- Layer 2
When oil is heated, turn heat to medium and add entire contents of Gold Pack to roast spices. Continue on medium heat, stirring often, till you smell slight aroma of roasted spices. It will be just 15-20 seconds if oil is hot enough.
- Layer 3
Add diced onion, diced ginger and de-seeded jalapeno to roasted spices. Continue on medium heat, stirring often, until onion becomes evenly translucent and ginger loses its pungent smell and start smelling nutty & little sweet.
- Layer 4
Add entire contents of Black Pack, 1 teaspoon of salt & ground red chili (optional, according to taste) and roast on medium heat for 1 minute, stirring gently and mixing well.
- Layer 5
Add boiled & chopped potatoes to the herb and spice mix and mix it well. Sauté for 3 minutes stirring often. Add ¼ cup of water, mix it well, cover the wok/ pan with lid and cook for another 5-10 minutes till potatoes are cooked to desired texture.
How to Tell When Oil is Hot When a small piece of food (a bit of ginger OR garlic OR onion) sizzles immediately when added to the pan. Start Cooking only after all the Preparation steps are completed In Indian Cooking each step move fast so every ingredient should be in ready-to-cook state and should be close to the cooking station before starting cooking. Cooking Time Cooking Time quoted is in case Pressure Cooker is used to boil potatoes.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!