Smooth, creamy palak tofu is made from spinach and stir-fried tofu which are lightly spiced with authentic Indian herbs and spices to give smooth and creamy texture.
When a small piece of food (a bit of ginger OR garlic OR onion) sizzles immediately when added to the pan.
<strong>Start Cooking only after all the Preparation steps are completed</strong>
In Indian Cooking each step move fast so every ingredient should be in ready-to-cook state and should be close to the cooking station before starting cooking.
Cooking Time quoted is in case Pressure Cooker is used to cook.
- 1 pack Saag Tofu Recipe Kit (No. 32)
Produce & Natural Foods
- 1 pound Fresh Spinach [1 pound Fresh Spinach = 8 oz Frozen Spinach]
- 14 oz Extra Firm Tofu
- 1 piece Onion [1 medium-sized = 0.4 lb]
- 1 piece Fresh Ginger Root [2 inch long & roughly ½ inch diameter OR Equivalent]
- 2 piece Garlic Cloves (medium-sized)
- 2 piece Tomato [2 medium-sized = 0.6 lb]
Dairy & Eggs
- 2 Tablespoon Yoghurt (Plain & Non-Fat or Greek) [2 Tablespoon = 1 oz]
Basic Cooking Ingredients
- 3 Tablespoon Cooking Oil [Sunflower, Safflower, Canola or Olive Oil based on preference]
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Cutting, Chopping & Whipping
1. Peel and finely dice onion.
- 2. Peel & finely dice fresh ginger root or grate using ginger grater.
- 3. Peel & finely mince garlic cloves or crush using garlic press.
- 4. Finely chop Tomatoes.
- 5. Rinse Spinach thoroughly.
- 6. Drain all water from Tofu & cut it in 1 inch cubes.
- 7. Whip yoghurt to smooth consistency.
- Preparing Spinach
1. Boil spinach with 1 cup of water in pressure cooker OR sauce pan with lid until tender.
- 2. Grind spinach mix to fine paste.
- 3. Add 1 Tablespoon of oil in wok with lid OR sauté pan with lid & add spinach paste to it and fry it for 10 minutes on low flame, stirring occasionally.
- Preparing Tofu
1. Stir fry tofu cubes in 1 Tablespoon of oil in frying pan till golden brown.
- Preparing Herb & Spice Mix (Layering Technique)
Heat 1 Tablespoon of oil in frying pan.
- Layer 2
When oil is heated add diced onions, diced ginger, minced garlic, chopped tomatoes & whipped yoghurt and sauté on medium flame, stirring occasionally, until this herb and spice mix turns light brown & till tomatoes become pulpy and their skin separate.
- Layer 3
Add entire contents of Gold Pack, 1 teaspoon of salt and ground red chili (optional, according to taste). Mix well and cook for 1 minutes.
- Layer 4
Add stir-fried tofu and sautéed spinach paste to the mix. Mix well and continue cooking till spinach is cooked to desired texture, roughly about 6-7 minutes.