Meat pieces are cut in cubes and braised in yoghurt and Kashmiri chilies based sauce. Fennel seed, Ginger powder and other spices to add depth of flavor to this signature Kashmiri dish.
Servings: 4 Servings
- 1 pack Rogan Josh Recipe Kit (No. 17)
- 1.5 pounds Lamb [Shoulder Chops or Shank]
Dairy & Eggs
- 0.25 cup Yoghurt (Plain & Non-Fat or Greek) [0.25 cup = 2 oz]
Basic Cooking Ingredients
- 2 Tablespoon Cooking Oil [Sunflower, Safflower, Canola or Olive Oil based on preference]
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Cutting, Chopping & Whipping
1. Cut Lamb in roughly 2.5” to 3” pieces.
- 2. Whip yoghurt to smooth consistency.
- Preparing Herb & Spice Mix (Layering Technique)
Heat 1 Tablespoon of oil in a pressure cooker Or saute pan.
- Layer 2
When oil is heated, turn heat to medium. Add lamb pieces and sear them, stirring often, till the surface of lamb pieces turn light brown. Remove seared lamb pieces from the pressure cooker/ saute pan.
- Layer 3
Add another 1 Tablespoon of oil in the same pressure cooker, add entire contents of Gold Pack to roast spices. Continue on medium heat, stirring often, till you smell slight aroma of roasted spices. It will be just 10-15 seconds if oil is hot enough.
- Layer 4
Keep heat at medium. Add ½ teaspoon of contents of Black Pack, sauté for ½ a minute and then add 1 Tablespoon of whipped yoghurt, mix it well and sauté for another ½ - 1 minute. Add rest of contents of Black Pack, sauté for ½ a minute and then add rest of whipped yoghurt, mix it well and sauté for another ½ - 1 minute.
- Layer 5
Add entire contents of Silver Pack to the yoghurt-spice mix and sauté for another 1 minute.
- Layer 6
Add seared lamb pieces to the spice mix and mix them well. Add ¼ cup of water, close the pressure cooker/ saute pan with lid and cook till lamb is well cooked i.e. fork tender.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!