Chicken pieces are marinated in yoghurt, fresh herbs and spices and slow cooked with aromatic basmati rice to create this dish from royal kitchens of Mughals.
Servings: 4 Servings
- 1 pack Murgh Biryani Recipe Kit (No. 09)
- 1 cup Basmati Rice [1 cup = 7 oz]
- 1.5 pounds Chicken [Breast & Thighs OR Legs; Skinless]
Produce & Natural Foods
- 1 piece Onion [1 medium-sized = 0.4 lb]
- 1 piece Fresh Ginger Root [2 inch long & roughly ½ inch diameter OR Equivalent]
- 2 piece Garlic Cloves (medium-sized)
Dairy & Eggs
- 1 cup Yoghurt (Plain & Non-Fat OR Greek)
Basic Cooking Ingredients
- 1.5 Tablespoon Cooking Oil [Sunflower, Safflower, Canola or Olive Oil based on preference]
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Cutting, Chopping & Whipping
1. Cut chicken in about 2”-3” long pieces.
- 2. Peel and thinly sliced onion.
- 3. Peel & finely dice fresh ginger root OR grate using ginger grater.
- 4. Peel & finely mince garlic cloves OR crush using garlic press.
- 5. Whip yoghurt to smooth consistency.
1. To prepare marinade mix whipped yoghurt, diced ginger, minced garlic, entire contents of Gold Pack, 1 teaspoon of salt & red chili (optional, according to taste). Apply it well to sliced chicken. Refrigerate the marinated chicken for 30 minutes.
- Saute Onions
1. Heat ½ Tablespoon of oil in a wok. When oil is heated, turn heat to medium and add sliced onion. Sauté onions on medium heat, stirring often, until the onions become translucent. Remove sautéed onions from the wok.
- Cooking Chicken
1. Heat 1 Tablespoon of oil in the same wok as used for sautéing onions. When oil is heated, turn heat to medium and add marinated chicken with all the marinade. Simmer on medium-low heat stirring occasionally till chicken is well cooked. Remove chicken pieces from the wok.
- Cooking Rice
- 1. Add cooked chicken to the rice cooker OR sauce pan. Add rice and 2 cups of water over the chicken and add sautéed onions over rice. Cover the rice cooker/ sauce pan and cook till rice is cooked. If using sauce pan, add more water if rice is not cooked properly.
How to Tell When Oil is Hot When a small piece of food (a bit of ginger OR garlic OR onion) sizzles immediately when added to the pan. Start Cooking only after all the Preparation steps are completed In Indian Cooking each step move fast so every ingredient should be in ready-to-cook state and should be close to the cooking station before starting cooking. Cooking Time Cooking Time quoted is in case Pressure Cooker is used to cook. If cooking in sauce pan add more water to prevent drying out.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!