Red Kidney Beans & Turnips, two beloved ingredients of Kashmiris are flavored with aniseed, ginger and other spices.
Servings: 4 Servings
- 1 pack Rajmah Gogji Recipe Kit (No. 04)
- 29 oz Red Kidney Beans [29 oz = 1 Large Can]
Produce & Natural Foods
- 2 piece Turnips (medium-sized) [2 medium-sized = 1 lb]
Basic Cooking Ingredients
- 2 Tablespoon Cooking Oil [Sunflower, Safflower, Canola or Olive Oil based on preference]
- 0.75 teaspoon Salt
- Cutting & Chopping
1. If using dry red kidney beans, soak dry red kidney beans in 4 cups of water for 6 hours. If using canned red kidney beans go to next step.
- 2. Peel and cut turnips in 2 inch thick wedges.
- Preparing Herb & Spice Mix (Layering Technique)
Heat 1 Tablespoon of oil in pressure cooker OR sauté pan.
- Layer 2
When oil is heated, turn heat to medium and add entire contents of Gold Pack to roast spices. Continue on medium heat, stirring often, till you smell slight aroma of roasted spices. It will take 10-15 seconds to roast spices if oil is hot enough.
- Layer 3
Add turnip wedges and stir-fry, till they turn translucent.
- Layer 4
Add entire content Black Pack, ¾ teaspoon of salt & ground red chili (optional, according to taste) and slow heat for another 1-2 minutes, stirring gently and mixing well.
- Layer 5
Add red kidney beans & 3 cups of water to the cooked turnips. Cover the pressure cooker OR sauté pan with the lid and cook till beans become soft or cooked to desired texture.
Dry Red Kidney Beans Dry red kidney beans can also be used instead of Canned red kidney beans. In that case 8 ounce of Dry Red Kidney Beans need to be soaked in water for 4-6 hours and then boiled in water till they are soft. How to Tell When Oil is Hot When a small piece of food (a bit of ginger OR garlic OR onion) sizzles immediately when added to the pan. Start Cooking only after all the Preparation steps are completed In Indian Cooking each step move fast so every ingredient should be in ready-to-cook state and should be close to the cooking station before starting cooking.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!